ÖBB Rail Cargo Group (RCG) and Transporeon, the leading Transportation Management Platform, announce their cooperation. Europe’s leading rail logistics player and the globally established platform will benefit equally from the unique partnership by integrating RCG’s offerings and services on the Transporeon platform. Existing and new customers will benefit from the strategic collaboration through a range of features that will be successively tested, expanded and rolled out on the Transporeon platform.
- A fully integrated modus operandi for rail and intermodal transports as part of the end-to-end supply chain
- Low threshold inquiry, booking and execution of rail and intermodal transports via the Transporeon platform
- Obtainment of real-time data (position, status, ETA) at consignment level
- Robust calculations of greenhouse gas emissions based on the new ISO 14083 standard, including the highest possible level of primary data.
European Green Deal – the opportunity of the century
The joint efforts of RCG and Transporeon are based, not least, on the ambitious goals of the European Commission, which sees the shift to rail as an essential component of its Green Deal strategy:
“The main aim of the European Green Deal is to transform our economy and society to engage towards a sustainable path. […] The objective is set to double rail freight traffic by 2050, from approximately 385 bn tkm transported by rail (2015) to 770 bn tkm in 2050.” (Source: European Union Agency for Railways – Fostering the Railway Sector through the European Green Deal, Part 2 – Freight)
Rollout on pilot routes between Germany, Austria and Italy
The new offer will first be available on the following pilot routes:
- North-East Austria (Greater Vienna) to Lombardia (Milan area)
- Southern Austria (Carinthia) to Northern and Southern Italy
- Northern Bavaria (Würzburg area) / Central Germany (Wuppertal / Kreuztal) to Veneto (Verona / Vicenza area)
Interested customers can now register online for the pilot routes and be the first to benefit from the new cooperation.
Rail Cargo Group CEO Clemens Först: “Multimodal transports combining the sustainability of rail freight with the flexibility of trucking on the first and last mile are our best chance at achieving sustainable land transport in Europe. Simplicity and ease of access is paramount for wide-scale adoption. We are delighted to have Transporeon as a strong and innovative partner on this journey. Together we bring everything to the table to make multimodal transports attractive.”
Transporeon CEO Stephan Sieber: “In an environment which keeps being disrupted and challenged more and more frequently, solution providers need to collaborate even more closely to offer sustainable end-to-end solutions. Ease of access, transparency, availability of real-time information and accurate carbon footprint calculations are essential elements to navigating better decisions, whether in strategic planning, tactical procurement or daily execution. We are very proud of our partnership with Rail Cargo Group. Together we very much look forward to shaping a new landscape in European freight.”